Find out whether dental implants are the right choice for your smile.
When it comes to replacing one or more missing teeth you certainly have a lot more options today than you would have decades ago. We are fortunate to live in a day and age where we can fix just about any dental problem with amazing dental treatments and techniques. From the office of our Washington, DC dentist Dr. Leslie Bonner, find out if dental implants are the right tooth replacement option for you.
While it may seem like a rather long laundry list of factors that plays a role in whether someone is a good candidate for dental implants, we are happy to report that most people are great candidates for this restoration. We look at these factors for determining whether or not you are right for implants:
- Healthy teeth and gums that are free of decay and gum disease
- A strong, healthy jawbone that is dense enough to support an implant (if jawbone loss is too significant, our Washington, DC restorative dentist may recommend bone grafting)
- Dedication to caring for your smile and your new restoration, which also means following up with routine dental visits and keeping your smile clean
- The patient’s age is also a deciding factor. Since the jawbone has to be completely developed, children and teens whose jawbones are still developing aren’t good candidates for dental implants.
- Smokers and heavy drinkers are more likely to experience implant failure (otherwise implants have approximately a 98 percent success rate). Smoking also slows down the healing process, making your recovery time longer. If you want implants we recommend ditching these habits for good.
- Patients undergoing chemotherapy or radiation, as well as those who have a suppressed immune system or a chronic health problem (e.g. diabetes) that they are unable to manage with medications and lifestyle changes are also not ideal candidates.
If you want to get dental implants in Washington, DC then it’s time you scheduled a consultation with The Bonner Dental Network. Give us a call today and get one step closer to having a complete smile.